Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Speaking of bread...

So I must confess that I am not very good friends with yeast. Any yeast-based recipe always seems to come out awful when I'm left unsupervised. I have seriously helped out on a number of good breads and even cinnamon rolls, but as soon as I try to make them myself, disaster strikes! In my defense, I'd like to say that I can do pretty well with sweet breads and any other non-yeast-based product, anything out of my bread maker, and the freezer rolls. Well, all was a disaster until my super nice visiting teacher / friend Kristine gave me an awesome recipe. Seriously, she gave me a loaf of super yummy bread a couple of times, and then gave me the recipe - never showed me what to do or anything. And magically, I can make it, and it includes yeast, and it is completely YUMMY. Tyson helps out a lot, and sometimes even makes it himself (I'll admit I think he has more of a knack than I do for making the recipe, but I'm just happy that at the end of the day, I end up with some yummy bread).

I've had a couple requests for the recipe so here it is:

Mix 3 c. flour, 6 T. sugar, 2 t. salt, 1/4 c. yeast.
Heat 2 c. milk, 1 c. water, 1 stick margarine in microwave. (I usually use a big measuring cup to add milk then water and plop the margarine in and nuke it)
Gradually add liquids to flour mixture and mix 2 min at medium speed. Add 1 c. flour and mix quickly for 2 min. Then add 3+ more cups flour. Knead for 5 min. and let rise in greased bowl 15 min. Shape into 2 loaves. Let rise 15 min. Bake at 375 for 20 min.

Super fast, super easy. We've also made rolls of various forms, mini-loaves, and bread bowls for use with soup. If Tyson is in charge, he usually pulls them out a tad early as he likes it a little doughy in the middle.

Enjoy! And never fear yeast again!

4 comments:

Tyson said...

It's true; the doughy middle is my favorite part.

Leezy Lindsey said...

Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to try it out!

Tyson said...

I'll add another comment. Not only do I take mini-loaves of this bread to work for lunch, but we used it for pigs-in-a-blanket on Sunday and it was awesome! I usually sneak a slice before going to bed at night too...

jet said...

And they make yummy rolls. I do find it hard to believe, however, that Sara and yeast don't get a long. Only time will tell. ;)