Monday, October 27, 2008

Midnight Sun - Stephanie Meyer's Rewrite of Twilight - Manuscript Leaked

Sara stumbled across the linked manuscript of Midnight Sun (the rewrite of Twilight told from Edward's (the vampire) point of view). Evidently Meyer distributed copies of the unfinished and unedited manuscripts to some family members and friends who then posted it on the net. Meyer has since decided that she is not going to complete the book and she has posted a link to the unfinished manuscript on her site. Here is a link to the press release on her website and a quick summary of the posting:

http://stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html
As some of you may have heard, my partial draft of Midnight Sun was illegally posted on the Internet and has since been virally distributed without my knowledge or permission or the knowledge or permission of my publisher.

I have a good idea of how the leak happened as there were very few copies of Midnight Sun that left my possession and each was unique. Due to little changes I made to the manuscript at different times, I can tell when each left my possession and to whom it was given. The manuscript that was illegally distributed on the Internet was given to trusted individuals for a good purpose. I have no comment beyond that as I believe that there was no malicious intent with the initial distribution.

...

I do want to take a moment and thank the wonderful fans who have been so supportive of me over the past three years. I cannot begin to tell you how much each of you means to me. I only hope this note will stop all the confusion and online speculation so that the Twilight universe can once again become the happy escape it used to be. After this incredibly busy year, I am now focusing on spending more time with my family and working on some other writing projects.

--Stephenie
Links to the manuscript can be found on Meyer's website (the link above). Looks like Sara will have something to read for the next couple of days.

4 comments:

sabrina said...

we have enjoyed your series and are sorry for what happened and my daughters and i hope to read more of your books in the future.

Michelle said...

Hi Stephanie,

Just wanted you to know last November I read all 4 books in 1 week. I am your age and could not put the books down. The 4th was my absolute favorite. I really think you think about writing a book series based on Jacob and Renesme. I would love to see what happens when she becomes an adult!

Thanks,

Michelle

mother of 2 said...

I feel a little embarrased that I had not been introduced to the Twilight series or the characters of Edward and Bella prior to the movie release. I watched the movie three times, extremely curious about how the relationship between the characters would continue to develop. What would happen to them?
I broke down and bought the first book, Twilight, from the local book store and stayed up an entire night letting the story flow through me. I truly have no memory of ever having a book take my interest so solidly.
After finishing the first book, I was able to borrow the second and third from my son's teenage friends and read them just as fast to satisfy my almost addiction to find out more about the characters.
I finished the third and had to get the fourth, which was, in my opnion just as good if not better than the rest of Edward and Bella's story.
I am only sad to hear that there is no more story on the horizon. That someone, for whatever reason, has caused Stephenie Meyer to in any way regret continuing the compelling tales of Edward and Bella.
I await the day that I can once again peer into the world of the Cullens. Until then, I will re-read what I have and be thankful that Stephanie was strong enough to share her dreams with total unworthy strangers like me.

Anonymous said...

hey stephanie! this is Jannat. well... when i started to write this comment i had a thousand things to say...but all of them somehow got lost somewhere ! :( .. first i saw the movie Twilight. i liked it so much i swore to myself that i have to read the book anyhow... believe me or not, the day after that, while i was in a bookstore with my mom, where i took her along with me saying that i need to buy some text books, i bought the entire series of twilight! my mom realised that those were not text books after we got home and i started reading those books right away....

i loved it. i read all the books five times! ... i read the first few chapters of midnight summer that you have published in your web site.... twilight and edward-bella, jackob's story is something very close to my heart.... i came to know some feelings that i never thought i would experiene in my life before! ... my friends and i spend day and night imagining things..like what if in New moon Edward didn't come back! what would Bella and Jackob do then! ...or what would be the story of Jake and Nessie...would jake ever have to compete with Nahuel or not .... we love each of the character of your book so much that i can't express that in words! part of it is because i am not very good in english! and the other reason is that i don't know enough words to say how exactly we feel.....

ofcourse it's your book, your will and entirely upto you what you want to do.... we can't just say that Stephanie please finish Midnight summer and please please write more stories on our favourire characters..we would even like to beg you if you need more persuation ! but even then we can't say that to you though we want to..very much..
because Twilight is your creation.. you have every right to do anything with it...still Stephanie, please let me know you that some fan from the other end of the world love you and edward and everyone sooooo much that we can even wait 10 years if you say you would take that long to finish midnight summer! ( i was about to say a 100 years but then i won't be living that long! if it were possible then i swore that i would hav waited forever to read midnight summer!!! ) ...
okay..i am going to end my long comment right here with a final pleading.... please please please stephanie, do finish your Midnight summer...