Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dear Big Love...

Your last-ditch attempt at achieving some sense of relevance or ratings is as hollow as your feigned apology for what you are still "choosing" to do. I'm not asking you to stop; I'm not even asking for a boycott. You have your agency just as I have mine. You'll suffer the consequences of how you use that agency just like the rest of us will. However, given your superficial statement about presenting "facts" that are "completely accurate and to show the . . . proper context and . . . respect," I would like to briefly comment on your disclaimers and attempts at depicting the beliefs of others with "reverence" and "dignity." We all, Mormons and non-Mormons, see right through your "justification" and recognize your desire to prevent the demise of your show. To the extent that your ploy gets attention (which, I admit, I am currently contributing to), it is undeserved. Let me know if the ratings and backlash were worth it.

In the words of Joseph Smith: "The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, until the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah will say, 'The work is done.'"

The Church's official response is more than sufficient in describing my feelings about this nonsense. See The Publicity Dilemma @ LDS Newsroom.

I'll conclude with the words of Amulek (you should do a show about him; he is much more inspiring than actors pretending to be polygamists).
32 For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.
Alma 34:32-34.

Best regards,

-Tyson

2 comments:

Tyson said...

I (we) welcome comments. But come on people. Give me something constructive as opposed to a website entitled Stop the Mormons. For the (big) love. If you would like to participate in the dialogue please participate (rather than cutting and pasting the same "comment" on hundreds of blogs including mine). Thank you.

Bruce and Cindy said...

Amen to your comments. My guess is that non-mormons, after watching, will be saying "much ado about nothing." The sacred is almost always trivialized when displayed on the tube. Look what the media has done to the Catholic’s sacred confessional.