Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

I'm buried in work trying to dig out from things that piled up over the weekend and I'm facing down what is sure to be one of my busiest weeks of the year, but I'll take a moment to comment on the recent passing of our beloved President Hinckley. I can't describe how touched I was when I heard that kids all over Utah are wearing church clothes to school today in his honor. My eyes started to tear up. Other than that, I have been all smiles. He was an unbelievable man and I feel lucky to have been on the earth at a time that allowed me to benefit from his wisdom, humility, and great insight. No one can deny that President Hinckley was a genuinely good person who loved all equally. His leadership and inspiration will be missed, both within and without the Church. We are all better people, members of the Church or not, for his ministry and example.

Besides, how can you not love a guy who, several months before his passing, had the sense of humor to "knight" President Eyring:


(Photo Credit: President Gordon B. Hinckley reaches out with his cane and appears to "knight" President Henry B. Eyring to his new position in the First Presidency. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News)

No comments: